Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.
 
HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistLog in

Share | 
 

 Question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bullygirl807

avatar

Number of posts : 95
Age : 41
Location : North Carolina
Registration date : 2007-05-06

PostSubject: Question   Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:39 pm

To my surprise on Monday morning I was awakened by my barking dogs to find that one of my females was locked up with a stray. Her jeat cycle was within the last 2-3 days. I immediately called my vet and was told he could give her the shot within 24 hrs to stop the fertilization but she runs the risk of developing pyometra and that could lead to spaying. The other option was to wait until she's almost full term and abort the litter, leaving her to have still born puppies. I guess I need some advise or opinions and what you all would suggest. I never in a million years that she would accept a male so late.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stonepitkennel



Male Number of posts : 30
Age : 29
Registration date : 2007-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Question   Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:54 pm

bullygirl807 wrote:
To my surprise on Monday morning I was awakened by my barking dogs to find that one of my females was locked up with a stray. Her jeat cycle was within the last 2-3 days. I immediately called my vet and was told he could give her the shot within 24 hrs to stop the fertilization but she runs the risk of developing pyometra and that could lead to spaying. The other option was to wait until she's almost full term and abort the litter, leaving her to have still born puppies. I guess I need some advise or opinions and what you all would suggest. I never in a million years that she would accept a male so late.


i would go for the shot personally. if you do have to spay her at least you have a great dog still. none of my dogs all female are fixed either so i know how it feels. it may have the risks but i dont like killing something that never even had the chance to see the world it is bad enough having still born in a natural birth and litter
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.freewebs.com/stonepitkennel
JoeFeezy

avatar

Male Number of posts : 45
Age : 34
Location : Dallas area
Registration date : 2007-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Question   Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:09 pm

It would be sad to kill developed pups, but you gotta look out for what is best for your female. I would take the option with the fewest health risks if she is actually breeding quality. If she is just a pet then i would go ahead and do the spay now. Im sure our opinions of breeding quality vary but unless she is a show/working dog i would get her fixed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.realapbt.com
bullygirl807

avatar

Number of posts : 95
Age : 41
Location : North Carolina
Registration date : 2007-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Question   Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:42 pm

That's the whole thing, she is a show dog and this is the first heat cycle she's had and we were planning on letting her go until the next heat cycle to breed. I thought about letting her have the pups and then just give them away. I too don't feel it would be right to just kill the litter or put her through a still born birth. However, to me that seems to be the safest. I'm not ready to spay her at this point and I don't know for sure if it even took.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dunlap
Site Owner
Site Owner
avatar

Male Number of posts : 1083
Age : 33
Location : east Texas
Registration date : 2007-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Question   Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:51 pm

Some of you might not like my response but.......I had a similar deal happen out here not too long ago. My girl was healthy enough to have the pups so I let her carry and give birth to them. As soon as it happened I tried to get a vet to give her the shot you mentioned but no one would do it. But anyways, I tried finding homes for them before they were born but I "culled" most all of them at birth. The few that I let live ended up not making it anyways since this was my dog's first litter but....oh well. IMO, their are way too many homeless dogs in this world anyways.

Talk with your vet and see if he thinks she's healthy enough to carry the litter. If she is, just ride it out and see what happens. Try and get PET homes lined up ahead of time and "cull" the rest.........It might sound "mean" but that's just how I feel about it.

_________________
A diamond is a diamond and a stone is a stone, but man is part good and part bad...

www.cafepress.com/pitbullfamily
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.pitbull-family.com
bullygirl807

avatar

Number of posts : 95
Age : 41
Location : North Carolina
Registration date : 2007-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Question   Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:20 pm

Trust me, I've thought about that too. I have had her checked and she is healthy enough to carry the litter but it has weighed on my mind about having a bunch of unwanted pups. I'm still not for sure if she took so I'm going to wait another few weeks and have an ultr sound or x-ray done to make sure. Amazingly enough, I caught the stray and tried to find it a home but had no such luck. I ended up taking him to the landfill where they house stray dogs. He was a young, friendly shephard mix so I'm hoping he finds a good home. On another note, while we were at the landfill, there were 2 pitbulls there. One I'd say about 5-6 months and the other about 3 years old. I was thinking about adopting them, if not they more than likely end up spending the rest of their lives there if not put to sleep. The young pup I was told was under investigation but if all goes well I'll find out on friday if I'm able to adopt her. The male I was told bit someone so I'm a little leary to take him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Attila

avatar

Male Number of posts : 88
Location : Dogville
Registration date : 2007-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Question   Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:30 pm

Dunlap wrote:
Some of you might not like my response but.......I had a similar deal happen out here not too long ago. My girl was healthy enough to have the pups so I let her carry and give birth to them. As soon as it happened I tried to get a vet to give her the shot you mentioned but no one would do it. But anyways, I tried finding homes for them before they were born but I "culled" most all of them at birth. The few that I let live ended up not making it anyways since this was my dog's first litter but....oh well. IMO, their are way too many homeless dogs in this world anyways.

Talk with your vet and see if he thinks she's healthy enough to carry the litter. If she is, just ride it out and see what happens. Try and get PET homes lined up ahead of time and "cull" the rest.........It might sound "mean" but that's just how I feel about it.
I agree with the culling of such a litter. It is very wise as not to contribute to the issue of useless dogs. I commend you for it.

This topic also hits into one of my most fustrating issues. Those jerks that let their dogs roam free which is the direct cause of this person having to wake to find some damn mutt hung up with her dog. Not much more than a week ago I had to put a slug in a black lab for trying the same here. I then delt with the owner. He had his last warning from me about a month ago.

You not only have to worry about a litter to cull, or find homes for which is dang near impossible anymore but there is serious risk that that idiot also doesn't immunize their dogs, worm them, and the very serious and often enough chance that that other dog has a sexually transmitted desease. Your dog may vary well be infected and you better have her tested for STD's. I would suggest you find the owner, and force them to have their worthless mutt tested and its nutts cut off. The owner should be castrated as well but that is another topic. This is a very serious matter and you should not just be concerned but rabidly pissed. This matter given you doing the shot or not may very well lead to your dog becomming not breedable in the future. Preventing the fertilization seems to be a very wise chioce, even aborting later. I like the idea of stopping it before it starts though over abortion. I don't believe in abortion for humans but animals and humans are not the same in any way. I don't think that in the affairs of animals a person can become damned to hell. Please do if you can prevent the litter from becomming half a dozen or so more mutts to contend with. And please do have your dog checked for STD's now that a dirty mutt has stuck her. And please do deal with that crappy owner. I wish I was there to do it for you. I am mad enough for you about it that I would ball bat the SOB.

Just my take on it all. I know others have other oppinions in life.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mindovermatter

avatar

Female Number of posts : 364
Age : 46
Location : Mchigan
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Question   Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:27 pm

I have not had this happen to me personally so i can't say that i have been there.. I did have the neibors lab get loose and come into my yard with my intact male aussie and that was a mess. I called AC the officer told me my dog was contained and so i was not at "fault" for their dog getting pregnant.

I still felt horriable just the same.

as far as this incident goes... I would be leary of the shot i have heard of people using it but most that i talk to opt not to use the shot and let the dog have the litter..

I also agree on culling the puppies at birth. If you are able to find some DEPENDABLE pet homes before the litter is born then you can keep a couple of them... But if you ask me a litter is VERY taxing on a young female dog and I feel that it is the nursing of the litter that is the hardest on ANY mother dog. and young dogs are still growing themselves and if they are sharing their nutrition with a litter of puppies then it takes away from what they are getting for themselves.

The right thing is not always the easiest thing to do. Usually it is the hardest decision out of your list of options. For me if it was my dog HER health is more important then the healt of a litter of unwanted mutt pit mix puppies whos temperment you can't be sure of because of the mix...

APBT mixed with herding dog to me is a BAD MIX...

herding dogs are by nature "gaurdian" dogs
APBT are not supposed to Gaurd ANYTHING so you are putting 2 totally different mind sets together in ONE dog.
I have a JRT/Aussie mix at my dads it ws my daughters dog... Cute you would think yep she is cute BUT she has no clue if she is coming or going.... when she is around a small furry animal she has no idea if she should Kill it or herd it. so yeah you have to look at what is going to be the outcome if these puppies grow to be adult dogs...

are you going to be adding to a possiable "problem" with temperment issues? You can't gaurantee a temperment on a dog that you have no clue about the parentage..

I know you will do what you feel is right but remember that as responsable APBT people whe have to also do what is right by our breed and not possiably cause any reason for a bad incidnet for a "pit bull" story.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
bullygirl807

avatar

Number of posts : 95
Age : 41
Location : North Carolina
Registration date : 2007-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Question   Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:49 pm

I thank everyone for their input. I am positive she did conceive and I'm going to cull the litter. Right before she is to drop, the vet will give her a series of shots that will cause the litter to be still born. It is the proper thing to do in such a case. As I stated I did catch the stray and turned hom over to animal control. It is just frustrating to responsible owners such as myself and so many others in here when things like this happen. i won multiple dogs and have never had a problem keeping any of them contained and then you have dead beats that can't even take care of themselves much less an animal. I felt bad for the little guy and having to turn him over but he's also got 2 other females pregnant in the neighborhood.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dunlap
Site Owner
Site Owner
avatar

Male Number of posts : 1083
Age : 33
Location : east Texas
Registration date : 2007-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Question   Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:32 pm

bullygirl807 wrote:
I thank everyone for their input. I am positive she did conceive and I'm going to cull the litter. Right before she is to drop, the vet will give her a series of shots that will cause the litter to be still born. It is the proper thing to do in such a case. As I stated I did catch the stray and turned hom over to animal control. It is just frustrating to responsible owners such as myself and so many others in here when things like this happen. i won multiple dogs and have never had a problem keeping any of them contained and then you have dead beats that can't even take care of themselves much less an animal. I felt bad for the little guy and having to turn him over but he's also got 2 other females pregnant in the neighborhood.


How much is that gonna cost you at the vet?

_________________
A diamond is a diamond and a stone is a stone, but man is part good and part bad...

www.cafepress.com/pitbullfamily
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.pitbull-family.com
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Question   

Back to top Go down
 
Question
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Question about Desert Substrate
» Random, kinda gross, cat question
» strawberry question
» Daft question
» A question about dimensions

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pit Bull Family :: Dog Discussion :: Health-
Jump to: