Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.
 
HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistLog in

Share | 
 

 Potential Genetic Problems?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Whiskybent

avatar

Female Number of posts : 52
Age : 35
Location : Sacramento
Registration date : 2007-06-16

PostSubject: Potential Genetic Problems?   Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:07 am

I know quite a few people that are in here know about merle traits and such, I'm curious about POTENTIAL health problems of an all white blue eyed pit who IS deaf?

She's had no other health problems but she's only a year old. I'm curious what one might have to look forward to with a dog like her? Deafness aside, I realize the work entailed w/a deaf dog...I am more interested in other health problems that may arise.

I'm of course googling and all but I know there are people who know a hell of a lot about these things in here so what better forum to ask in? Smile

Thanks all
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dunlap
Site Owner
Site Owner
avatar

Male Number of posts : 1083
Age : 33
Location : east Texas
Registration date : 2007-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Potential Genetic Problems?   Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:55 am

There are alot of health problems that go along with pure white/red nose dogs (albino)...eyes, ears, internal problems, ect. Here is something I found for you as kinda a definition of albino:

( Albino )
A genetic disorder causing a lack of melanin, which reveals itself in a lack of coloring of the fur and eyes and can lead to long term health conditions including internal organ failure.

_________________
A diamond is a diamond and a stone is a stone, but man is part good and part bad...

www.cafepress.com/pitbullfamily
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.pitbull-family.com
Whiskybent

avatar

Female Number of posts : 52
Age : 35
Location : Sacramento
Registration date : 2007-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Potential Genetic Problems?   Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:23 am

Dunlap wrote:
There are alot of health problems that go along with pure white/red nose dogs (albino)...eyes, ears, internal problems, ect. Here is something I found for you as kinda a definition of albino:

( Albino )
A genetic disorder causing a lack of melanin, which reveals itself in a lack of coloring of the fur and eyes and can lead to long term health conditions including internal organ failure.


I don't think she's albino if she's got blue eyes, is she? MindOverMatter was telling me in one of the groups on myspace about double merle and I'm wondering if this coloring (all white/blue eyes) isn't something along those lines? If she's albino, wouldn't she have pink or red eyes?

I spoke w/this girl that's got her, today, on the phone. She feels really guilty about giving her up...I am seriously thinking about her. I figure that IF she ends up having more health issues, that I'm reasonable enough to know when it's time to just put her down...But I'm also damn good w/dogs like her, no real training, special needs and whatnot. I'm still not deciding though, we're going to introduce them in the next couple of days (them being the pup and Mo)...
She doesn't have a name. The lady's had her all this time and never named her. She says because she can't hear her. haha...

(I'd obviously name her and teach her the sign for her name, of course)

This dog also hasn't had much work but I guess she is over all pretty good, just needs some training and such.

Ugh, anyway--Thank you Josh Smile I've found a bit of info but I'm not sure what she truly is, given her traits. I must admit that I think she's quite the pretty little pup...Flawed or not. (I know...I'm a sucker...whatever. hehe)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dunlap
Site Owner
Site Owner
avatar

Male Number of posts : 1083
Age : 33
Location : east Texas
Registration date : 2007-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Potential Genetic Problems?   Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:30 am

Whiskybent wrote:
Dunlap wrote:
There are alot of health problems that go along with pure white/red nose dogs (albino)...eyes, ears, internal problems, ect. Here is something I found for you as kinda a definition of albino:

( Albino )
A genetic disorder causing a lack of melanin, which reveals itself in a lack of coloring of the fur and eyes and can lead to long term health conditions including internal organ failure.


I don't think she's albino if she's got blue eyes, is she? MindOverMatter was telling me in one of the groups on myspace about double merle and I'm wondering if this coloring (all white/blue eyes) isn't something along those lines? If she's albino, wouldn't she have pink or red eyes?

I spoke w/this girl that's got her, today, on the phone. She feels really guilty about giving her up...I am seriously thinking about her. I figure that IF she ends up having more health issues, that I'm reasonable enough to know when it's time to just put her down...But I'm also damn good w/dogs like her, no real training, special needs and whatnot. I'm still not deciding though, we're going to introduce them in the next couple of days (them being the pup and Mo)...
She doesn't have a name. The lady's had her all this time and never named her. She says because she can't hear her. haha...

(I'd obviously name her and teach her the sign for her name, of course)

This dog also hasn't had much work but I guess she is over all pretty good, just needs some training and such.

Ugh, anyway--Thank you Josh Smile I've found a bit of info but I'm not sure what she truly is, given her traits. I must admit that I think she's quite the pretty little pup...Flawed or not. (I know...I'm a sucker...whatever. hehe)

Do you have any pictures of her other than the one of her lay'n on her buddy? I'd like to see a face shot of her. But even if she isnt considered "albino", she is still pure white, blue eyed, red nose, etc. And they are well known to be full of health problems...you'll also have to watch out for her being out in the sun too long....

_________________
A diamond is a diamond and a stone is a stone, but man is part good and part bad...

www.cafepress.com/pitbullfamily
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.pitbull-family.com
Whiskybent

avatar

Female Number of posts : 52
Age : 35
Location : Sacramento
Registration date : 2007-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Potential Genetic Problems?   Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:34 am

Yeah I figure that when I slather on the sun block for my white ass, and the kids, I'll have to add one to the list if I take her on...lol.

I spoke w/the lady today and so far this pup's not had any issues, but I do worry of course and would like to be prepared for the worst while hoping for the best IF I even take her...
The only other picture I've seen of her is one of her laying on her back sleeping w/her little belly all hangin' out as a kind of young pup. When I introduce Mopar to her I'll take the camera and get some good pics of her, though (or try)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mindovermatter

avatar

Female Number of posts : 364
Age : 46
Location : Mchigan
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Potential Genetic Problems?   Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:03 am

Whiskey,

Hi i was the one that was posting about the double merles..

with white dog skin issues may arise.. sometimes they are prone to alergies and things of that nature. YES as Joshua said SUNBURN.


I guess you can ask the orgional owner of the dog if it has had any alergy issues and things of that nature.

I have heard of MANY a white boxer be just fine and healty so it is possiable with the dog you are thinking of getting as well.
That would be a good refrence point for you to google as well... White Boxers... you might get more info on what you are trying to find out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whiskybent

avatar

Female Number of posts : 52
Age : 35
Location : Sacramento
Registration date : 2007-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Potential Genetic Problems?   Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:08 am

mindovermatter wrote:
Whiskey,

Hi i was the one that was posting about the double merles..

with white dog skin issues may arise.. sometimes they are prone to alergies and things of that nature. YES as Joshua said SUNBURN.


I guess you can ask the orgional owner of the dog if it has had any alergy issues and things of that nature.

I have heard of MANY a white boxer be just fine and healty so it is possiable with the dog you are thinking of getting as well.
That would be a good refrence point for you to google as well... White Boxers... you might get more info on what you are trying to find out.
Yeah I knew you were in here somewhere Smile haha.
The lady honestly doesn't seem to know a whole lot about the dog--She's had her since she was a pup, but the dog doesn't even have a name (because she can't hear it, she said)
She has been primarily outside for a year, she comes in and does fine but over all they leave her out. I asked if she has any other issues that she's aware of and she said nothing she knows of--I'm meeting her sometime this week and I'll give her a once over at least...

Thanks I'll google white boxers and get some more thoughts that way.
I appreciate it! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Potential Genetic Problems?   

Back to top Go down
 
Potential Genetic Problems?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Inherited Diseases
» Any problems with frost heave in spring?
» Humidity problems...
» Need help with behavioural problems!
» toilet training problems

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pit Bull Family :: Dog Discussion :: Health-
Jump to: