Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistLog in

Share | 

Raw and Kibble

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
lovemypits
Admin
Admin

Female Number of posts : 1708
Registration date : 2007-03-30

PostSubject: Raw and Kibble   Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:24 pm

Ok, well Sasha and Harley are looking good, and Sasha has put her weight back on. I have been thinking of adding a little raw too. I think Tanya said she does also, does anyone else?
What do you start them off with, a chicken leg?
Do you feed kibble one time then raw? Or both at same time?
Do I have to go to a butcher or is the meat at the grociers fine?
Will I have to add any suppliments since they will still get kibble?

Any advice would be appreciated!!

Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
geisthexe

Female Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2007-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Raw and Kibble   Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:42 pm

I feed my dogs all raw.
but feeding kibble and raw is fine. Do you feed twice daily right now?
No you do not have to split them up.
Chicken is the easiest for a dog to get use too. You can either go to the butcher or you can go to Walmart with a grociery store in it and get the bags with quarters in it, they are about 5 bucks a bag.
Well supplements are always a good thing no matter what you are feeding. Not all food have the correct nutrients.
do you plan on doing a raw kibble diet from now on?
have you ever done raw/kibble before?
so many questions regarding a good raw diet for your dogs.
what type of kibble do you have your dogs on?

I have been feeding raw to my dogs for 7 yrs now so ask any questions.

I hope I have helped a bit

Deb
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://vigilantkennels.com
lovemypits
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Raw and Kibble   Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:51 am

Right now I am feeding them twice a day. They eat diamond large breed. I have just heard of how the raw is really good for them. I thought maybe in the beginning I would do both, I want to see how they do.

Tonight I went and got from the store 2 legs and 2 thighs. I gave them each a leg. Harley took his and chewed it nicely, Sasha wanted to swallow it. So, I held it for her all the way till the end so she would chew it. So far so good. Nothing came back up and they seem happy. I put the thighs away and now harley keeps going to the fridge, like mommy I know there's more!!

I just read a few places not to feed the kibble to cuz they take longer to digest then the raw sits too and the dog gets sick?

Thanks for your help.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dunlap
Site Owner
Site Owner

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2007-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Raw and Kibble   Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:44 am

From what I've heard from others who feed RAW...it is rough on their stomachs to feed them a mixture of raw and kibble daily. I DO feed them raw steaks or hamburger on the weekends though, just as a "treat" and I feed it over their dry kibble.

www.cafepress.com/pitbullfamily
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.pitbull-family.com
geisthexe

PostSubject: Re: Raw and Kibble   Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:51 am

Hun its not going to hurt them. Its like you when you eat protients (harder for your body to digest "takes much longer") and when you are eat carb. So by putting them both together, in theory you should eat your carb first then your protein so you stay full longer.
All a myth. It depends on the size of the portion you feed.
Kibble like you eating dehydrated food, the body has to hydrate it and then digest it but again remember as the body is hydrating it w/ your own body acids it is also breaking it down.
You do need to remember though if you feed (example) 3 cups in the morning of all kibble and 3 cups at night. Do not add the raw meat. but if you do 3 in the morning and depending on the size of the raw meat you must measure your kibble to meet the size of the meat. So like a quarter leg of chicken (nice size one) you will only give 1 cup kibble rest raw meat.
This way makes no bloat, and no vomit. the body can digest its food approprately.
As your dogs are getting use to the raw you are going to want to add something in there for ruffage sp? to help the body in the process of digestion. Like now you can start adding green beans, good fiber for the body, helps keep everything flowing nicely. I make green beans into a treat three times a week. when the dogs are out in the living room hanging out with me they get bowl of frozen green beans. dogs love cold/frozen stuff, and the green beans are sweet to them.
By the way, why do you feed Diamond? Sorry but that is one of the worse things to feed your beloved babies.
Regular Dimond Premium Dog food ingredients
*** Ingredients
Chicken by-product meal, whole grain ground corn, wheat flour, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), brewers rice, beet pulp, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, fish meal. Vitamins, minerals and chelated minerals. ***
Link to Diamonds Ingredients page http://www.diamondpet.com/products/ingredients/
If you read it has Corn, & Wheat, these are one of the most common things that dgs are alleric to.
I am truly not trying to pick on you just want to educate you in what you are feeding your dogs. it will be hard to see what your dogs are to look like with raw with feeding something (Diamond, hills products, pedigree, etc) that is going to hinder the bodies qualities.

Best of luck

Deb
Back to top Go down
mindovermatter

Female Number of posts : 364
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Raw and Kibble   Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:54 am

Ok ......

I feed kibble/raw.. i also feed a diamond brand of dog food the Chicken Soup type.

[color=indigo]
Quote :
[color:da34=indigo:da34]By the way, why do you feed Diamond? Sorry but that is one of the worse things to feed your beloved babies.
Regular Dimond Premium Dog food ingredients

It ws suggested to her to feed the Diamond that she is using as her one dog was way thinner then she liked and she could not get weight on the dog for the life of her.

There are WORSE foods out there then the Diamond that she is feeding.

Kelli,
I agree that you need to cut back on the kibble if feeding raw because of portions
I feed Kibble in the am and raw at night just to break it down and so my dogs eat twice a day.
Raw is good for them and the bones will help keep teeth clean.
you might want to also add some cows liver once a week
I know some of the people that i talk to the feed raw like to mix up the meat animals that the food sorce comes from so like one day chicken one day beef so on and so fourth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
geisthexe

PostSubject: Re: Raw and Kibble   Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:52 am

Well, I will still stand behind there is better food to feed to make a dog keep weight on then Diamond. She does not need to feed wheat / corn to her dogs to keep bulk. But All I did is answer her questions and asked her a question and replied it. She does not have to take any of my advice, it is her chose.

About what meat to feed I suggested to her to start with chicken so she does not have problems until the dogs are use to eating raw. Like I said before it is the easiest meat for a dog to get use too.

Kellie, if you would like to add new meat, I HIGHLY suggest you wait a week get the dogs use to the CHICKEN before you add new b/c the dogs may get the runs to from starting this. After a week I suggest Turkey Necks / legs & pork neck / back. Once your have been able to do a combo feeding of meats Either in combo every night or change each day w/o problems. Then you can add Red meat, and more gamey stuff like Rabbit, Lamb etc. (just remember these meats are more oil base meat or they are very rich on a dogs system when they have never eaten the meat or are getting use to it. You can add RAW Beef bone w/ marrow, cleaned of No meat anytime to help clean teeth and the marrow is good for them. But once you are feeding red meat then you can leave the meat on the bone.

Again best of luck

Deb
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Raw and Kibble   Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:15 pm

Oh, all this raw meat sounds so gross, cow liver? Turkey necks? But the dogs must love it. I did feed them the kibble this morning and I will do just the raw tonight. I see how clean their teeth got after just one chicken leg! (the one leg was just a test before I went and spent too much $$ and they got sick or something) I really value all of the responses I get. I always research also.

As far as the Diamond. Sasha is doing wonderful on it!!! Her spine has disappeared and I can only faintly see her back 3 ribs (ok since she is half boxer).

Here are the ingredients of their food:
Ingredients
Chicken, chicken meal, cracked pearled barley, whole grain brown rice, white rice, rice bran, beet pulp, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, brewers dried yeast, potassium chloride, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, chondroitin sulfate, beta carotene, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, L-Carnitine, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

I think this does not have the wheat or corn because it is the naturals 60+ large breed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mindovermatter

Female Number of posts : 364
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Raw and Kibble   Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:56 am

Deb,
I am not dissagreeing with you there are better foods out there then the main diamond line but there are also decent foods made by diamond as well, you just have to read what is in the bag.
I was feeding Sensable Choice Adult at 40.00 for 30lbs well it is a good food but i read the ingredients for the Chicken Soup food made by Diamond and there is no corn or wheat in it and it has alot of the same good stuff that the Sensable Choice had in it with about 1/2 the price tag.

Kelli,

I also agree with Deb about the chicken for a week then adding another meat.. I was tired when i posted yesterday... You should wait a week between each new meat add to see how they do with the meat.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dunlap
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostSubject: Re: Raw and Kibble   Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:45 am

ALL dogs respond differently to all the different foods out there so it is just unfair to say that one brand is the best and the other is the worst. I've seen dogs that do BETTER on Ol' Roy than some other dogs do on the high dollar stuff... I like my Diamond food and I am VERY pleased with it so far. I usually feed Hi Energy but I'm slowly switching over to chicken and rice formula. But antways, to each their own and what is good for one dog can be terrible for the next. Hopefully all goes well with the RAW feedings, I've never heard anyone have something bad to say about the results...

Back to top Go down
shadowwolf

Female Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2007-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Raw and Kibble   Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:38 pm

Dunlap wrote:
ALL dogs respond differently to all the different foods out there so it is just unfair to say that one brand is the best and the other is the worst. I've seen dogs that do BETTER on Ol' Roy than some other dogs do on the high dollar stuff... I like my Diamond food and I am VERY pleased with it so far. I usually feed Hi Energy but I'm slowly switching over to chicken and rice formula. But antways, to each their own and what is good for one dog can be terrible for the next. Hopefully all goes well with the RAW feedings, I've never heard anyone have something bad to say about the results...

Yes, it's true that all dogs respond differently to foods, but why feed a food that has low quality protein fillers like corn, wheat and soy? Those things are linked major allergy problems in a good number of dogs.

They're also very difficult for a dog to digest and they don't get half of that stuff digested which just comes back out in the crap you literally have to clean up.

I personally would rather feed my dogs the highest quality of food with the highest quality of ingredients - including meats, a few veggies, highly digestible grains (if I do a grained food at all), & some fruits.

Try grading out your dog food and find out where it stands. I personlly won't feed Diamond because I think it's utter crap, but as Tonya pointed out, there are a FEW good lines in that product, I just personally wouldn't touch it with a 10' stick.

http://pets.families.com/blog/grade-your-dog-food
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dunlap
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostSubject: Re: Raw and Kibble   Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:05 am

shadowwolf wrote:
Dunlap wrote:

Yes, it's true that all dogs respond differently to foods, but why feed a food that has low quality protein fillers like corn, wheat and soy? Those things are linked major allergy problems in a good number of dogs.

They're also very difficult for a dog to digest and they don't get half of that stuff digested which just comes back out in the crap you literally have to clean up.

I personally would rather feed my dogs the highest quality of food with the highest quality of ingredients - including meats, a few veggies, highly digestible grains (if I do a grained food at all), & some fruits.

Try grading out your dog food and find out where it stands. I personlly won't feed Diamond because I think it's utter crap, but as Tonya pointed out, there are a FEW good lines in that product, I just personally wouldn't touch it with a 10' stick.

http://pets.families.com/blog/grade-your-dog-food

I've been using Diamond Hi-Energy but I'm in the process of switching to Diamond naturals chicken and rice.

http://www.pitbull-family.com/Health-f4/Dog-Food-Grading-Chart-t42.htm

But what is "crap" food for one dog can do wonders for another dog...

Back to top Go down
SchismaticKennels

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Raw and Kibble   Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:56 pm

I love the food argument. It's funny, before everyone started switching to all these foods that weren't "perfect" for their dogs, dogs lived 20 years. My uncles, and grandad have had beagles and hounds for years and years, they get ole roy, table scraps, and whatever they help trap. These dogs live excess lives from 16-25 years. The worst problems they've ever had is arthritis by the age of 14 and blindness right before death. Now mind you they do receive all their shots and wormings on regular basis BUT they never go to the vet. I have a hard time believing that a 20 year old dog has some major health problem from foods they are eating, especially when used for hunting and kept in great shape. Smile

BTW I use diamond as well, yep it has fillers, but its what works best for my dogs, and my dogs are healthy, go to the vet on a regular basis, and sometimes I add the raw in. I also give them brewer's yeast, calcium supplement, b-12 and prenantal vitamins. Yogart, and raw egg with shells. I don't feed table scraps though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sally Pfitzer

Female Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Raw and Kibble   Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:11 pm

I have fed my Bull Terrier raw for five years. She is allergic to all grains, and when I rescued her she was covered with sores, and had yeasty ears, and stomach upsets.Eating raw was the answer. For those who like to feed kibble and raw, it is better to feed raw at one feeding, and kibble for another. The kibble takes longer to digest. The ratio of raw food is different to kibble. I feed 2 to 3% raw of her body weight. Therefore my almost 60 pound bully eats almost a pound of raw meat a day. You learn to buy what is on sale.This time of year turkey is cheap. I buy a big turkey, and disjoint it into pieces. Then I put the pieces into baggies and freeze it. Do not microwave it to defrost, because the bones must be raw for digestion. Just give the dog a leg or wing or part and watch it enjoy. You can take an axe and whack the bone to crack it at first, so that the dog can smell the marrow. The dog must have a meal with bone in it at least once a day. I feed Leyla twice a day. Pork necks, lamb necks, turkey necks. chicken parts, fish, eggs any way from raw to boiled. Try giving your dog a raw whole egg on a plate. The dog should eat the shell too. (for calcium.) A meal of liver, or kidney, heart at least once a week is a good idea. A wonderful help to the serious raw feeder to begin with is called "Switching to Raw." It is by Susan K. Johnson. http://www.switchingtoraw.com I also belong toa group called raw4bullies@yahoogroups. com, the moderator, Marita McDaniel is always happy to answer questions.Hope I have helped you a little, hugs, Sally/Leyla
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Raw and Kibble   

Back to top Go down

Raw and Kibble
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1