Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistLog in

Share | 

help if you can

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jamesraymond
3x

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2007-03-04

PostSubject: help if you can   Tue May 29, 2007 5:59 pm

Shea is about 75-80lbs and he was being fed really ****** food when I got him. When I got him I switched him over to Solid Gold wolfking 2 cups a day the same as queenie. He is in really good shape but its seems like he lost weight, but I dunno if I should feed him more because sometimes you can see his backbone and when you pet him you can feel it also. So what I am wondering because I have only owned an overweight pit bull... Is am I feeding him to little should I up it or is this natural with a in shape toned pit?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MidnightSkyKnl

Female Number of posts : 354
Registration date : 2007-05-06

PostSubject: Re: help if you can   Tue May 29, 2007 6:51 pm

I would recommend upping the cups we have a male thats about 90lbs. and we feed him 5 cups a day. i would recommend for your boy probably at least 3 cups a day just to see if it don't add some weight. As for the backbone you can probably see it and feel it probably b/c he doesn't have enough muscle built and/or meat on his bones. Not saying hes in bad shape I'd really have to know the dog b/c there are some dogs no matter how fat or how muscled up they are their back bone still either shows or you can feel it. But for a big male I would recommend upping his food and then figure out how many cups a day keep him at the weight you like him. All dogs are different I know a few friends that have 70 lb dogs and only feed 3 cups a day and then another friend that has to feed 6 cups per day to their 70 lbers. So really it just depends on the dog and what you want him to look like.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.midnightskykennels.com
Dunlap
Site Owner
Site Owner

Male Number of posts : 1083

PostSubject: Re: help if you can   Tue May 29, 2007 7:24 pm

Just up his feeding to 3-4cups a day and see how he does. All dogs are different and it sounds like he's just burn'n off the food alot faster than what you are used to seeing with Queenie. Do you have and good, detailed pics of him? Sometimes you can see/feel the spine when they turn or sit a certain way but it doesn mean anything. My boy Boudreaux is a 70 pounder and he gets 4 cups a day. You can see him in my avatar. But I'd like to see clearer pics of Shea, I know it's hard to really "see" a dark brindal though...

www.cafepress.com/pitbullfamily
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.pitbull-family.com
Attila

Male Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2007-05-26

PostSubject: Re: help if you can   Tue May 29, 2007 9:18 pm

can we see a photo of the dog to take a look at how he looks at his current weight. Hard to say if he is at a good weight for his bone structure or not otherwise. How is his energy level? If he is a large framed dog he will require more feed, most feeds are about 2-3 cups at 50 pounds. If his natural weight would be more he would require more. I have smaller framed dogs, but some just have larger ones that should be at 60-70 pounds. And some even larger I know. So you have to adjust to what the dog should be to its structure. Keeping muscle tone and a good tuck with out getting that barrel look. Looking at the dogs waste can tell you if your under or over feeding. if it is soft or runny your feeding too much. If the dog is constipated and struggles to poop it is too little. The dog should eleminate once or twice a day. Firm not hard and not soft either. I know that looking at the consistancy of defication is not high on the want to do list but it is a sure sign of where you are on feed levels, parasites and other issues that need to be attended to.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SchismaticKennels

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: help if you can   Wed May 30, 2007 11:58 am

It all depends on what you feed to. Some dog foods are higher in protein and fat content, and you don't have to feed as much. Some foods are lower and you have to feed more.

All my dogs range on the OZ's. they get a day. I like to maintain a solid weight on the dogs especially my females, so I tend to feed a little more than most people.

Normal condition on an apbt is, a hint of backbone, and a hint of rib. But if you want the dog lookin good and healthy with no concern of conditioning, up his food to 5-6 cups a day, for atleast a week. See how he's looking after a week. Then you can decrease half cup gradually to see what his weight should be.

Do everything gradually. If you just start doing 6 cups the dog is going to look bloated. If you decrease to fast the dog will scarf down its food. It's all a gradual transition just like when your changing foods.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jamesraymond
3x

PostSubject: Re: help if you can   Wed May 30, 2007 7:07 pm

heres some better pics

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SchismaticKennels

PostSubject: Re: help if you can   Wed May 30, 2007 8:14 pm

Gah he looks like my Zoe, built just like her too, only he has the white and she doesn't. None the less.
He looks great the way he is, if he appears to be losing a little weight go up a cup. I wouldn't suggest more than that because he is going to add fat on, which is unhealthy for the dog.

My Zoe Girl.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jamesraymond
3x

PostSubject: Re: help if you can   Wed May 30, 2007 8:24 pm

Yea he used to be on pedigree a month ago when I got him and switched him right over to solid gold wolfking and it perked his coat right up shiny as hell and he dropped weight so I got nervous.. I was thinking of just uping a half cup see how it is
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jamesraymond
3x

PostSubject: Re: help if you can   Wed May 30, 2007 8:25 pm

SchismaticKennels wrote:
Gah he looks like my Zoe, built just like her too, only he has the white and she doesn't. None the less.
He looks great the way he is, if he appears to be losing a little weight go up a cup. I wouldn't suggest more than that because he is going to add fat on, which is unhealthy for the dog.

My Zoe Girl.

gorgeous and they do look a like besides Shea's white socks lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
suki

Female Number of posts : 405

PostSubject: Re: help if you can   Thu May 31, 2007 3:37 am

just remember that the feeding instructions on a bag are there as meerly a guideline, so if it seems as tho he's still ravenous/looking for more food after he eats and you think he's still hungry, AND any possible parasite issues are null, then yeah, up his food a bit. But that's good food, so you can use less than the average stuff calls for. imo, tho, he looks good=lean, coat is shiny/glossy has a good tuck and generally looks healthy, based on those pics. good looking dog=love the brindles!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/suki9259
MidnightSkyKnl

Female Number of posts : 354
Registration date : 2007-05-06

PostSubject: Re: help if you can   Thu May 31, 2007 5:58 am

jamesraymond wrote:
heres some better pics

Looking at him now he looks fine to me but, of course if you'd like him a little bigger then all you do is add a little feed at a time and see how much per day keeps him at the weight you want him. it all depends on how you want him to look. I personally think he looks fine he looks healthy. He has a shiny coat and no predominant hip bones which means hes getting the nutrition that he needs so if you didn't want to add anymore weight to him he would be fine.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.midnightskykennels.com
SchismaticKennels

PostSubject: Re: help if you can   Thu May 31, 2007 12:13 pm

jamesraymond wrote:
SchismaticKennels wrote:

My Zoe Girl.

gorgeous and they do look a like besides Shea's white socks lol

Thanks James.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JhnsnsKennel

Female Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2007-03-30

PostSubject: Re: help if you can   Thu May 31, 2007 2:45 pm

i think he looks fine a pound or two more would be fine but i think he looks just fine...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.freewebs.com/jhnsnsukcapbts/
lovemygottibabies

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2007-05-24

PostSubject: Re: help if you can   Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:07 pm

You know, we switched our dogs from nutro to canidae, and my male lost ALOT of weight. Enough that it was showing on his head a bit. After mixing hamburger meat with their food for a week and a half, he gained the fat back on his head but not his body. MY female on the other hand, was getting pretty chunky.

We switched them back to nutro and he's put on weight. Some dog foods just have different effects on different dogs. Hope you get your dog how you want
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jamesraymond
3x

PostSubject: Re: help if you can   Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:17 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone. I uped his feeding to 3 cups a day and he looks better already
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Attila

Male Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2007-05-26

PostSubject: Re: help if you can   Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:16 am

The dog actually looks very good just as he is right now in those pictures. I would maintain at that. A little conditioning and that boy is ready to show and get some ribbons.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: help if you can   

Back to top Go down

help if you can
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pit Bull Family :: Dog Discussion :: Health-
Jump to: