Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistLog in

Share | 

What makes you think that you have the real deal!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
suki

Female Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: What makes you think that you have the real deal!   Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:24 pm

well, the "Real Deal" to me (and oddly enuff, this is exactly what's on my APBT Hoodie, which i'm wearing at this moment, as in this pic:)

is a dog that conforms to the already written/established standard. "pit bulls" with 'GI~ NORMOUS' heads, bodies, etc, imo, are not the "real deal" as they fall out of the realm of what these dogs should be. to me, standards are wrtitten for a reason, to keep an animal "true" to form. if an animal waivers from the standard, it too, waivers from the real deal...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/suki9259
alfisher3

Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2007-11-05

PostSubject: Re: What makes you think that you have the real deal!   Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:16 pm

I know my comment comes a bit late, but the original standard for the APBT was written from a collective standard of the best fighting dogs of the 1930's. As most of the champions of that time pretty much conformed to the same metrics although some varied slightly in weight and appearance the standard was generally the same across the board. This is how the written standard was originally adopted by the big 3 of the time, ADBA, UKC, and AKC, over the years those standards have changed by the UKC as well as the AKC a bit, but the original standards for the dog were written with the purpose of working dogs in mind although looks does not play a big role ,the fact of matter is that most dogs outside of the written standard generally cannot perform it's original task in which it was bred. Hope this sheds a bit of light on the topic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pitmamma

Female Number of posts : 1414
Registration date : 2007-06-22

PostSubject: Re: What makes you think that you have the real deal!   Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:28 pm

I like that hoodie Suki
Back to top Go down
View user profile
suki

Female Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: What makes you think that you have the real deal!   Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:20 pm

alfisher3 wrote:
I know my comment comes a bit late, but the original standard for the APBT was written from a collective standard of the best fighting dogs of the 1930's. As most of the champions of that time pretty much conformed to the same metrics although some varied slightly in weight and appearance the standard was generally the same across the board. This is how the written standard was originally adopted by the big 3 of the time, ADBA, UKC, and AKC, over the years those standards have changed by the UKC as well as the AKC a bit, but the original standards for the dog were written with the purpose of working dogs in mind although looks does not play a big role ,the fact of matter is that most dogs outside of the written standard generally cannot perform it's original task in which it was bred. Hope this sheds a bit of light on the topic.

agreed. to clarify, i was referring to what's written by today's standards, or, what you will find when you do a search, (such as this description):
http://www.nationalkennelclub.com/Breed-Standards/apbt-astb%20standard.htm=
(for example) and inparticular, in regards to their weight. i do not see how a 100+ "pit bull" with a "huge" head would be considered the standard. just my .02 tho...
and since it goes without saying that one cannot test in the [] due to the current laws, in the US,we now have to 'work' these dogs in other ways, hence rewritten standards.
and tx pitmamma~was just weird that i happened to be wearing this while posting to this thread...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/suki9259
sf1986

Male Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: What makes you think that you have the real deal!   Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:12 am

Just thought I'ld throw in my two cents here. Regarding the standards, I think they should be reflective of the dogs that were most successful in the []. The essence of the breed is of that nature. If the purpose of the breed evolves into anything other than [] performance (i.e pulling), which it has, then those dogs are no longer pitbull terriors. My guess is that after 7 generations of this type of breeding the dogs will have evolved into a new breed altogether; they will be no more pitbull terriors than say a bull mastif is a pitbull, or a chimpanzee is a human being. It would follow, that the name of this new pull dog breed be reflective of their purpose. I think pull dog terrior, or bull pull terrior would be appropriate. Anything that puts the breeds purpose in a nut shell. Further, the standards of the pull terrior can be changed to reflect the physical attributes that make one of the breed a winner at pulling. Obviously, they will not be pit bull terriors; those dogs were bred for winning matches in a [] through physical, mental, and spiritual ability.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rednya

Female Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2008-10-18

PostSubject: Re: What makes you think that you have the real deal!   Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:25 pm

i think the real deal is how they make you feel in your heart. My girls are my "real deals" and neither have ever fought or showed. Nya is a therapy dog and my assistance dog because I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks. She is the real deal for me and now I'm medication FREE!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What makes you think that you have the real deal!   Today at 5:22 pm

Back to top Go down

What makes you think that you have the real deal!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2