Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistLog in

Share | 

What If....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
suki

Female Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: What If....   Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:01 am

What if you were in your car and saw a dog (a pit bullX) crossing the street. you swerve to miss it, keep driving, but then decide to turn around and go pick it up.
what would you then do? would you look for any ads in your local paper to see if someone was missing/lost it, call AC, post an ad, or what? i ask cuz:
i read on another forum of such a happening yet this person took it upon themself to drive the dog (female) right to a clinic, treat it for worms (she tested positive) and then took it upon herslf to immediately have the dog spayed. this person will then take said dog home and then try to place it.
maybe it's me, but am i alone in my thinking when i think this is a bit, well, "rushed" for lack of a better word?
i know if one of mine happened to get loose, i'd be pretty pissed that someone took it upon themself to have a surgery done to my dog, without my knowledge or consent. nor try to find out wh that dog belonged to, PRIOR to doing ANYthing to it....
so
what if it were you... (j/c)
if you found a dog crossing the street, what would you do?
tx in advance for any replies...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/suki9259
pitmamma

Female Number of posts : 1414
Registration date : 2007-06-22

PostSubject: Re: What If....   Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:35 am

I guess I can understand this persons thinking. If the dog is loose then the owner must not care enough etc etc. Now we know that is not always the case but.....
Me personally I might pick the dog up, might try to find the owner, but would not spend money on it unless I planned on keeping it. And to answer your question...I would be totally pi^&^ to find one of my dogs (especially a show or pull dog) fixed. Yes I know the dog should not be out but things do happen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lovemypits
Admin
Admin

Female Number of posts : 1708
Registration date : 2007-03-30

PostSubject: Re: What If....   Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:25 am

My first stop would be a local vet (or humane society if no other choice) to have the dog scanned for a micro-chip. While I know not everyone has their dog chipped, I would hope if it was a "prized" dog that they would have taken the time and small amount of $$ to have it chipped.

If it is not chipped I would take out an ad, craigslist all that to try to find the owner. Of course not putting too much info out.. prob not even the breed if it can be helped.

I would also be upset if I had a dog that was used in conformation that someone took it upon themselves to have surgery done on. If it was just a house pet.. eh.. i'm all for speuter so I guess they'd just save me the cost if I hadn't already done it.

I too see people jump to conclusions too quickly when a dog is loose. You never know what may have happend that the dog was out loose. Doen't automatically mean the owner is not a good one .

Female Number of posts : 310
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: What If....   Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:55 am

I would be seriously peeved if my dogs got out, picked up and then fixed in the process! I agree with "Lovemypits", if it was just a pet I'd be fine but not one of my conformation/pull/breeding prospects! I can't even imagine Dookie getting out and somebody fixing him when my whole point in purchasing him was to show.
When we've found dogs in the past, we usually check for tags and then return thm to the listed address. The one time we found a dog without tags, we took him to the vet to have him chipped, he wasn't, so we kept him overnight and brought him to the a/s since he was intact and my male was wanting to fight through the door. Otherwise, we would have held him until he was rehomed. Sadly, it turned out this dog was a "regular" to the shelter, his name was Capone and they figured he'd be back within the month.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://prisonbluepitbulls.webs.com
cdumarce

Female Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-09-16

PostSubject: Re: What If....   Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:09 am

I've actually picked a few animals up that way before...mind you I didn't take them to get them fixed (thats just kinda out in left field). I probably wouldn't even take the dog to a vet unless it was injured or I decided to keep it. But I usually checked for tags, if they had them I'd either take them where they belonged (if they have an id tag) or call the vet listed on their rabies tag so they can look up the owner using the registered number on the tag. If the dog has no tags I would probably place an ad in an attempt to find the owners. I would normally try to place him/her in another suitable home if the owners could not be found. I would only take an animal to a shelter as a last resort (ie...if they didn't get along with one of our dogs or if they were showing aggression towards us or our kids they would be at the shelter pretty quickly).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
suki

PostSubject: Re: What If....   Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:03 pm

was just curious to see if others felt as i did (do)
appreciate the replies!
Back to top Go down
sf1986

Male Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: What If....   Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:28 am

I would consult an attorney to see about making the person pay for the dog that he/she sterilized.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ewwies

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-10-24

PostSubject: Re: What If....   Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:14 pm

well the dog shouldnt have been roaming loose.. ON A STREET HAVING CARS SWERVING to miss it. First thought that would come to my mind is irresponsible owners. And irresponsible owners shouldnt be owning dogs, let alone an intact dog.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
suki

PostSubject: Re: What If....   Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:03 am

^ well, sometimes dogs get loose, as on occassion, an accident does happen. imo, it makes the situation unfortunate, but not completely, nor should this always be deemed 'irresponsible'.
i also don't think that's grounds to haul it away in your car and IMMEDIATELY get it spayed.... without searching for a possible owner. i read the only thing that appeared wrong with this dog was that she was "a LIL underweight". otherwise fine. sounds like she got just got loose somehow....just seems REAL hastey, imo.

tx for your reply.
Back to top Go down
ewwies

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-10-24

PostSubject: Re: What If....   Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:15 pm

well i'd definitely wait the 7 days like most shelters for their owner to claim it.. maybe even 14. I do agree an immediate spay is a little extreme.. and I would think waiting a bit would be best. But what do you expect? Better than the dog laying in the side of the road.. i'd be thankful the person picked my dog up. So many other things that are far worse could have happened.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What If....   Today at 7:50 pm

Back to top Go down

What If....
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pit Bull Family :: Dog Discussion :: Pit Bull Related-
Jump to: