Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistLog in

Share | 

Commericial vs Non-commercial

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
alfisher3

Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2007-11-05

PostSubject: Commericial vs Non-commercial   Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:34 pm

I have often saw the debate of commercial vs non-commericial dog feed being discussed, My question to those who chose to participate and answer is which do you prefer and why? Also if the ingredients are the same or better for either, and you still chose the preferred other, then why?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lovemypits
Admin
Admin

Female Number of posts : 1708
Registration date : 2007-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Commericial vs Non-commercial   Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:33 pm

1) I would have to say that I feed non-commercial food. Although I don't buy it because I have to go to a feed store (no pet store or "commercial" store sells my brand). I think if they sold my brand at the local Piggly Wiggly I'd still buy it. The thing is, it's hard to find a food that Harley can keep down and doesn't come out the other end in a messy way (sorry if TMI lol ). I used to feed commercial food and my dogs just did not do well on it. This could also just be the brands or formulas that I tried.

2) I think if I could find a food that had the same ingredients and my dogs did well on that was a commercial food I wouldn't mind switching to it. I'm not really a "food snob" when it comes to my dogs.

As long as the food has good ingredients, my dogs look healthy, and Harley's sissy tummy can handle it I'll stick with it. For the past year my dogs have done well on Diamond, and just recently got to the Performance formula and my dogs are looking better than ever. I'll stick with it. Hope that answers your questions Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mason

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2007-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Commericial vs Non-commercial   Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:01 pm

We feed non-commercial Diamond Extreme Athelete to the adults and canidae to the pups. I have fed commercial in the past, Purina or Nutro. Saw better results when I stepped up to Canidae and even better results bumping up to the Diamond performance brand. That first line of ingredients on the side of the bag is what the feed mostly consists of.

I personally will stay away from foods that contain by-products, corn and other uneccessary fillers. With the Purina and Nutro brands our dogs used to crap alot leaving behind runny stools, their coats used to break and theirs eyes were filled with boogers. That is my experience whatever one chooses to feed is their choice but I don't even go to the grocery store looking for feed, I like the feed stores.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pitmamma

Female Number of posts : 1414
Registration date : 2007-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Commericial vs Non-commercial   Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:51 pm

My first question is....what is considered commercial and non-commercial. I could be completely wrong but I would consider anything mass produced (which would be all dog foods) to be commercial and non-commercial would be raw or something you made yourself...?????
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lovemypits
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Commericial vs Non-commercial   Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:23 pm

pitmamma wrote:
My first question is....what is considered commercial and non-commercial. I could be completely wrong but I would consider anything mass produced (which would be all dog foods) to be commercial and non-commercial would be raw or something you made yourself...?????

I take it as meaning food that can be easily purchased at the local grocery store/pet store vs hunting it down at say a feed store. For example where I live Diamond is harder to find, I have to go to the feed store to get it. I consider commercial to be easy to find sold everywhere.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pitmamma

Female Number of posts : 1414
Registration date : 2007-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Commericial vs Non-commercial   Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:13 pm

Ok that is kinda what I thought. Here Diamond is sold everywhere, except the grocery store. Even the local gas station has it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lovemypits
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Commericial vs Non-commercial   Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:52 pm

The gas station??? Geez.... lol If I could be so lucky! I have 1 store in my area that carries it... lol

PostSubject: Re: Commericial vs Non-commercial   Today at 7:21 pm

Back to top Go down

Commericial vs Non-commercial
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1