Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistLog in

Share | 

Keeping my dogs healthy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
lovemypits
Admin
Admin

Female Number of posts : 1708
Registration date : 2007-03-30

PostSubject: Keeping my dogs healthy   Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:24 pm

I am wondering what I can do to keep my dogs healthy. I guess the root of this thinking is that so many people tell me that Sasha is too skinny. She is part boxer and I know that she just has a skinnier body than harley (plus easier to see ribs because of color). My vet said that sasha is healthy. She has always been on the light side. Say for her age if the ideal weight was 40-47 pounds she would be 41 pounds.. She is now 60lbs and Harley is 67lbs. What can I do to get them to gain more muscle? I obviously don't show them or take them to competitions or anything, I just really want them to be healthy. I feed them the recomened amount of food daily, Purina One lamb and rice. I give them each one treat twice, after our walk before work at 6am and after our night walk at 7pm. What else can I do, and in your opinions does she look too skinny? I always said thats just her body type, but I get so many comments about it.

[img]

[/img]

I guess these are the best pics I have right now of her from the side. Showing her rib area. Thanks!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dunlap
Site Owner
Site Owner

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2007-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Keeping my dogs healthy   Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:34 am

Try a different food. It obvious that the food is working good for the brindle one but you need to try a few different brands for Sasha until you find someting that works. I know people talk bad about Ol' Roy foods and I know that it has poor ingredients but buy the brown bag "High Performance" and try it out for her. It's a good food to use if you need to fatten up a dog Wink.

www.cafepress.com/pitbullfamily
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.pitbull-family.com
lovemypits
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeping my dogs healthy   Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:38 am

Thanks, actually that is what I used to feed them, I just thought I would try to get healthier food. Maybe I should switch her back, she has lost 4lbs since I switched to purina one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dunlap
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostSubject: Re: Keeping my dogs healthy   Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:42 am

lovemypits wrote:
Thanks, actually that is what I used to feed them, I just thought I would try to get healthier food. Maybe I should switch her back, she has lost 4lbs since I switched to purina one.

Alot of people just get caught up in the whole rat race of buying the most exspenive/ most popular food just because that is what they've had pounded into their heads. All dogs react differently to different brands and what works great for one dog may do just the opposite for the next...as you have experienced first hand Wink. I used to feed the brown bag of Ol' Roy but made the switch to Diamond about 6 months ago. It's not that the food was killing my dogs or anything, I just wanted to get a higher quality of food is all. I am pleased with Diamond and have noticed many improvements in my dogs all the way from appearance, their coats "texture", they act alot healthier and more active than they were on Ol' Roy...... When winter time comes back around I will feed them half and half just to put some fat back on them.

Back to top Go down
Anokapolicia

Male Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Keeping my dogs healthy   Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:57 pm

I definetly agree with Joshua. I've fed my dogs 3 different brands of food. I use to feed my male Kibble's and Chunks, which he liked but then I was told about Nutro Natural Choice from the gentlemen I bought my Female from, That is what I feed them now. I did feed my dogs Ol' Roy's but it gave them bad gas. Like Joshua said every dog is different! Good luck and keep us posted!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lovemypits
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeping my dogs healthy   Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:21 pm

Thanks for ypur comments. I'll let ya know. I went and bought some ol roy today. I have never heard of diamond though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dunlap
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostSubject: Re: Keeping my dogs healthy   Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:58 pm

lovemypits wrote:
Thanks for ypur comments. I'll let ya know. I went and bought some ol roy today. I have never heard of diamond though.

I live in a VERY small town and the only place around here that sells good dog food and supplies is Tractor Supply. It's $20.00 for 40lbs. if I remember right.

Diamond Hi-Energy/ Score 77 D

Diamond Maintenance / Score 64 F

Diamond Lamb Meal & Rice / Score 92 B

Diamond Large Breed 60+ Formula / Score 99 A

Diamond Performance / Score 85 C

I scored the Ol' Roy (brown bag) once before and it got a 27. It is definately failing but if you look at the post Dog Food Grading Chart, you'll see that a few of the more exspensive brands scored even lower.

Back to top Go down
mindovermatter

Female Number of posts : 364
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Keeping my dogs healthy   Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:21 pm

gotta love the dog food debate Smile

I am a fan of Diamond food as well.. I started feeding it in 1991 when I had my first Rottie.
I have always been pleased with the results of that food.. When I started showing APBT I was trying to take the advice of the other people in the "show" world .. I have tried Canidae, Ivo, Nutro max and for the last year have been feeding sensable choice made by Royal Canin. I do like the results of the Sensable Choice but i really don't think that they are any better then what i was getting when i was feeding the Diamond... I went to Tractor Supply and picked up a couple bags of Diamond on Wensday as i am going to swich back to that food. I also supplement with RAW meats and bones as well so I feel that for my dogs and for myself the Diamond is the way to go and is more cost effective.

Diamond also makes
Chicken Soup for the Dog lovers soul
the puppy lovers soul
and one for cats and Kittens

this food is aslo very good it has no corn or wheat in it for those dogs that have allergies to those products..
The Diamond Naturals i read the bag on that and they are aslo high on the list of ingrents that i would like to see in a food.

Kel i would suggest you try a gradual swich to maybe if you can find it Diamond Puppy mix it with what you are currently feeding it will addd a bit more fat and protien to your dogs diets. and REMEMBER Rome was not built in a day so dont rush things .. It can take from one month to 3 months to see any diffference in a dogs coat and body when swiching a dog food.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lovemypits
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeping my dogs healthy   Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:27 pm

Thank you. I am going to go see if I can find diamond also. I just bought a bag of ol roy so maybe I'll mix the two first?? then gradually get into the diamond. Seems very reasonable price! the purina one is costing me $26 for a 25lb bag. Yikes!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mindovermatter

PostSubject: Re: Keeping my dogs healthy   Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:53 pm

Kel,

yes always mix when you are doing a food change will lessen loose stools. Don't panic if you get some loose stool it happens with food changes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anokapolicia

PostSubject: Re: Keeping my dogs healthy   Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:22 am

How old is Sasha?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lovemypits
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeping my dogs healthy   Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:18 am

She is 1 1/2 yrs old.

Great news!! I found on the diamond website that the feed store I go to sells diamond. I'm going tomorrow to get a bag.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anokapolicia

PostSubject: Re: Keeping my dogs healthy   Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:02 am

Oh, I was wondering. I know both my pits hit their growth spirt at about 7 months old. Hopefully the Diamond works. Hell I might try it w/ my dogs someday!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mindovermatter

PostSubject: Re: Keeping my dogs healthy   Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:05 am

Kel,

wonderful that you found it !! Maybe start with the puppy for her and when she is at the weight you like re evulate and see if you want to move to active. Again remember to mix it and change gradually
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lovemypits
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeping my dogs healthy   Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:04 am

Thank you for your assistance!! I will buy the puppy tomorrow! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lovemypits
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeping my dogs healthy   Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:11 pm

Ok, well I went and bought 40lbs each of the purina and the diamond. I was trying to mix the food evenly in the bin I put the food in and was having problems cuz sasha was eating right out of the bin like it was a trough (sp). Then when I put the food bowls out she ate the entire bowl right away. So I guess she likes it so far. I just can't wait to see in a few months hopefully she puts her weight back on!! Yippy!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anokapolicia

PostSubject: Re: Keeping my dogs healthy   Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:54 pm

That is awesome!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dunlap
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostSubject: Re: Keeping my dogs healthy   Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:30 am

My dogs love the Diamond that I feed them lol. When they first started getting it, they would eat it up like a kid eating ice cream but now they have slowed down with it a bit.

Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeping my dogs healthy   Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:22 am

All I can say is so far they are actually eating all the food in their bowls, and they seem to be very energetic. I don't know if the food is what gave them the energy or what? So far so good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dunlap
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostSubject: Re: Keeping my dogs healthy   Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:34 am

When I started with Diamond I saw improvements all the way around including the fact that they were "more active"

Back to top Go down
tonka

Male Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2007-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Keeping my dogs healthy   Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:20 pm

I was feeding diamond then I went to nutro max. it is good and mine love it. they loved the diamond but i wanted to get away from so much corn based food. so that is the reason i went to nutro and plus its a good food and its not overly exspensive.

when i had frog thow i fed him simple solutions by royal canine. it was a lil pricy but when i fed him that he done well with it.

so it could be different food for different dogs works well for one may not do so good for the other. you just have to find the right food for that dog.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.millionbulldogmarch.com
lovemypits
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeping my dogs healthy   Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:27 am

Ok, so now that the mixture of food is dwindling, do you think it's been long enough to just feed them the diamond alone? There is not much purina left mixed with the diamond, but I just want to be sure I don't upset there tummys by going to just the one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
freekypixie

Female Number of posts : 48

PostSubject: Re: Keeping my dogs healthy   Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:59 am

sometiimes your dog is just using more fat then the other dog......... i would go to the dollar store... and get the omega 3 tablets...... they have fish,flax, vit E in them...... fish oil is a good fat source.... or i wouild just give them a fish oil supplent in their food........it will help them gain weight...... there is also a supplent you can get at tractor supply called red cell.... it will help them beef up.......but be carefull...... you dont want them over weight either.......
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.freewebs.com/pentaclepits
Dunlap
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostSubject: Re: Keeping my dogs healthy   Wed May 02, 2007 6:24 am

Any updates or new pics?

Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeping my dogs healthy   Wed May 02, 2007 1:10 pm

Well, they are doing great! I think they have put on a few pounds and I will find out when I take them for their heartworm in a few weeks! But they are loving the food. I have a few new pics in the gallery.

Thanks!

Kelly
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Keeping my dogs healthy   

Back to top Go down

Keeping my dogs healthy
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next